[omniORB] ServantActivator, etherealize, lastInvocationHasCompleted and omniObjTableEntry

Mike Harris mike_harris@filemaker.com
Thu Aug 8 18:28:02 2002

omniORB 4.0

I have a situation where in the omniOrbPOA::lastInvocationHasCompleted()
function the omniObjTableEntry::downcast() call returns 0.

The environment:
A ServantActivator is activated on the RootPOA.  The ServantActivator is
registered with set_servant_manager on a childPOA created with
USE_SERVANT_MANAGER and RETAIN policies.  I create an object on that
childPOA and activate it manually.  I can see that the object is added to
the omniObjTable.  I use the object, then invoke its "Destroy" method
which cleans itself up and then calls childPOA->deactivate_object().
Etherealizing is postponed and the call stack starts retreating (The
object was used in the same address space.)  The omniLocalIdentity
destructor is called which in turn calls the lastInvocationHasCompleted()
function.  At this point an assert on the entry pointer fails.  Apparently
some mutexs are not released either, as the next locateRequest crashes the
application by trying to lock a mutex already held.

My etherealize method ( which has yet to be called ), simply reduces the
ref count.

The service implementation memory has not been deleted at this point.

According to Advanced CORBA Programming in C++, on page 474, the
etherealize function should be "... invoked in response to an explicit
object deactivation via deactivate_object ( even if the servant for that
object was not created by the servant activator )... "  This object was
manually created and activated, since I need to pass it more information
than what is obtained during the incarnate function.

Perhaps I'm going about the whole process of trying to free resources
correctly.  I want to release the server side memory associated with this
object when the object is no longer in use, ie, the client has invoked a
"Destroy" method on the object.  This is the reason that I'm using the
ServantActivator, so that the etherealize method will be called and my
application can go about freeing memory.

The platform, MacOS X 10.1.5, omniORB compiled with Metrowerks Codewarrior
8.0.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Harris
Software Engineer