support contracts Re: [omniORB] omniORB4 for mission critical production app

Huw Rogers count0@building2.co.jp
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:13:20 +0900

It's not at all hard for an individual to generate a support contract
acceptable to a major corporation. There will usually be a couple of
iterations of contract negotiation about specific terms. You could also ask
to get a peek at another vendor's support contract while at the
customer's premises, in order to see a sample. There are also samples on
the net. Typical support contracts comprise both a retainer and a
time/materials (hourly billing + expenses) component. The retainer often
includes a base number of hours support (e.g. 8 hours a month), with the
T&M rate applied for excess hours. Expenses are usually travel expenses
for on-site software support. It's generally better for the support
contractor to try and get a high retainer / fixed number of hours if
they are confident the hours won't get used up, since they get paid
irrespectively and the hours expire at the end of the period (make sure
of this, otherwise you have an open ended commitment).

	-Huw

--
Huw Rogers <rogers@building2.co.jp>