[omniORB] optimizing reference counting

Kevin Wooten kwooten@itracs.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:50:40 -0700

After previous discussion's on the list I decided to use reference =
counting, but only for a select number of interface's that have a low =
instance count. My next question is if anyone can think of a way to =
optimize the speed of reference counting for distributed objects. For =
example, DCOM (I know, you all cringe at it's use as an example) clients =
maintain a reference on object proxies, and when those proxies are =
destroyed a release call is forwarded to the server, but no other ref. =
count calls are forwarded. I know CORBA maintains a proxy much the same =
way, I also know it is reference counted, is there any way to intercept =
the destruction of this object, so I could send a release call myself. I =
realize this is all very non-standard, and any solutions will probably =
tie the application directly to omniORB, but that is fine. Maybe, if =
there is a way to store some extra data per object reference, I could =
use interceptors to intercept all calls to addReference, =
releaseReference, and only send the releaseReference call when the =
reference is zero. Any suggestions?

Kevin Wooten
iTRACS Corporation
email: kwooten@itracs.com