[omniORB] Using authentication with omniORB 4

Teemu Torma tot@trema.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:14:02 +0200

I know this has been discussed before, but mostly on abstract level.

We have a need to build some kind of authentication between omniORB 4 clients.
There seems to be two possibilities, either use GIOP service context or make
your own transport.

Does anyone have actually implemented something that uses GSSAPI or another
mechanism and possible difficulties with it?

I could imagine the following pros and cons:

- New transport
  Pros: separate implementation, free hands to do anything.
  Cons: "proprietary", difficult to make to work with other orbs.

- Service Context
  Pros: easier to work with other orbs.
  Cons: only authentication--no encryption, what else?

I am not too familiar with omniORB codebase, so what would be good starting
point to start looking how service context could be implemented?

Teemu