[omniORB] NameService

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:01:43 +0100

On Monday 15 April, "Eguchi, Koji" wrote:

> Using omniORB 3.0.2 on HP, I'm trying to have my client application resolve
> for name service expressed as
> "corbaname::myhost.com:2809#Stars.Services/MCM.Server". The problem is I
> have to write this client with JDK to communicate with omniNames and server
> applications developed with omniORB, and I'm not sure how I must interpret
> the above string. Although I was able to resolve for "NameService"
> successfully, I get NamingContext NotFound exception for subsequent code.
> If anyone can tell me the string contains the name(s) of service to be
> resolved, please kindly let me know.

JDK 1.4 supports the INS, so it will accept the corbaname string. If
you're using JDK 1.3, you'll have to create the name sequence
yourself. The above string represents a two element naming sequence.
The first element has id "Stars", kind "Services"; the second has id
"MCM", kind "Server".

To get the reference to the naming service itself, you should
configure the Java ORB with either the IOR printed when omniNames
starts up, or using ORBInitialHost/ORBInitialPort.

Note that JDK 1.3 has a bug that means it will crash if omniNames is
running on the same machine as the client. There is no workaround that
I'm aware of.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --