[omniORB] Given an IOR how to determine the id.kind name?

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:30:48 +0100

On Tuesday 25 September, Bruce Visscher wrote:

> Mark Johnson wrote:
> >
> > If I am given an IOR how can I detemine what its fully qualified id.kind
> > name is?
>
> Short answer: You can't.

Indeed. In fact, asking the question reveals a basic misunderstanding
of the Naming service's purpose. In many applications, the majority of
objects should never be registered in a Naming service. The name to
object mapping is really there just to find the top-level objects in
an application. Most non-trivial applications will have many other
CORBA objects that are found and created through the top-level
objects.

The IOR is the thing that uniquely identifies an object. A particular
IOR can be bound to many names within a Naming service or, most
likely, not bound at all.