[omniORB] Interoperability with Voyager

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:05:35 +0100

On Thursday 20 September, brk@jenkon.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to connect an omniORBpy client to a Voyager
> (www.objectspace.com) server. Looking at the sample code in the omniORBpy
> manual I see code like:

[...]
> But, to connect to Voyager, I need something else instead of "NameService"
> for my rir call, right? Some corbaloc reference? Or am I missing the boat
> altogether? Some other method should be called?
>
> N.B. I need to connect to a server given only hostname and port, so examples
> which involve stringified IORs will not be helpful.

A hostname and port is not sufficient information to contact a CORBA
object. You need to know the object key too, which is usually opaque
binary data. The interoperable naming service and corbaloc URIs coerce
the object keys to be simple text strings. If you can't find out the
object key of the Voyager object, there is no way to contact it. Since
the combination of host/port/object key is pretty much the total
information stored in an IOR, once you've got the key, you might as
well use an IOR.

The issue of specifying an object is unrelated to whether you use
resolve_initial_references() or not. That function just consults a
list of previously configured object references, stored in the omniORB
configuration file or given on the command line with -ORBInitRef.