[omniORB] looping iin transient exception handler

henning.schmidt@philips.com henning.schmidt@philips.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:02:36 -0700

Hi all,

My app successfuly makes calls from a reference to a servant.
Then the servant goes away (dies, crashes, whatever) and after that the next use of the reference seems to block the app.
I would have expected to catch an exception (COMM_FAILURE or TRANSIENT) but ... no. The call never returns from the cal to the reference-func.

When I set the omni-debug level to 10 I see that the app is not actually locked. Instead it sleeps for 1 sec and then runs somewhene in a func called _omni_callTransientExceptionHandler ... and the sleeps again ... this seems to be going on forever.

-> my question is: is there a way for me to change this behaviour so that I can catch the TRANSIENT exception myself and do whatever I feel is appropriate. (e.g. is there a way to limit the number of sleep-cycles?)
-> I am ok with the fact that this is a TRANSIENT exception (as opposed to a COMM_FAILURE). But I want to get my hands on it.

thanks for any hint,
;Henning

THOMSON Multimedia Broadcast Solutions
H. Henning Schmidt / Digital Film Applications
1000 W. Maude Ave, Sunnyvale, CA, 94085, USA
phone:    +1 (408) 617-5751  Fax: -7713
email:    henning.schmidt@philips.com