[omniORB] omniidl on Windows 9X

Mon, 14 May 2001 10:46:08 +0100

On Monday 14 May, Mair Quentin wrote:

> How do you get onniidl (from OnmiORBpy 1.3 for Python 2.0) to work on
> Windows98SE/ME? On both boxes I get:-
>
> C:\omni\examples\echo>omniidl -T -bpython echo.idl
> omniidl: Could not import back-end `python'
> omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
> omniidl: (The error was `No module named _sre')
>
> C:\omni\examples\echo>
>
> Using or not using "-T" makes no difference. Using "-p" (not shown) also
> makes no difference. Also I have no problem running (non-CORBA) python
> scripts

How odd. It's failing when it tries to import re, the regular
expression module. What happens if you try to "import re" from a
Python prompt?  If that fails, your Python installation is broken for
some reason. If it works, something very odd is going on with
omniidl. One thing to try is to set the environment variable
PYTHONVERBOSE to 1. That will print out a huge amount of stuff about
what Python is doing, which might help.