[omniORB] omniORB and Pascal

Alfonso Tamés alfonso@tames.com
Mon, 07 May 2001 23:57:11 -0500

Thanks Mikhail !

By the way, I finally managed to get a CORBAObject from the StringToObject method, after a post in the Visibroker 3.3 newsgroups I invoked CORBA.ORB.StringToObject(ior) instead
of ORB.StringToObject. Don't ask me why both are defined different.

then I narrowed the returned object with echo_object := TEchoHelper.narrow(obj,true).

Now I want to get the COSName Service working (included in Visibroker 3.3 for Delphi 5). I managed to make it work using the NameService IOR. But I want to invoke my Delphi
client applications with the reference to the nameserver.

My problem is that I don't know what arguments does the client has to receive and how to pass them on the orb.init function!

1. What arguments I have to use (since its CORBA 2.1 I don't think -ORBInitRef will work).
2. How can I pass the arguments to the CORBA.ORB.init function in Delphi?

Regards,

Alfonso Tamés

mik@geosys.ru wrote:

> 01.05.01 12:37:55, Alfonso Tamés <alfonso@tames.com> wrote:
> >I am very excited to hear that Mikhail Soukhanov is working in omniORB
> >for Delphi. I just bought Visibroker 3.3 for Delphi 5 (with its new
> >idl2pas) and it has been a nightmare to make it work with my CORBA
> >servers in omniORB over Linux.
> >Until now, all my attempts have failed. Why does Delphi return an
> >IObject with ORB.StringToObject instead of a CORBAObject ! My God ! I
> >just threw $ 300 to the trash !
> >Mikhail, have you ever made Visibroker 3.3 for Delphi and omniORB inte=
ract ?
> >Has anybody tried this before ?
>
> Hello, Alfonso!
>
> I am sorry for the postponed reply to your e-mail, but we had prolonged=
 May Day holidays here.

> I have had no experience with omniORB/VisiBroker-for-Delphi by now, but=
 omniORB 3.0.3 client (Win32) is interacting with VisiBroker 4.0 for C++ (Win32) quite nice, except for
> some slow-down expected in this configuration.
>
> I also think that IDL-to-Delphi COM-oriented mapping is awkwark, to say=
 the least. Here, we generally use the C++Builder-built VCL components, hiding CORBA (VisiBroker for C++
> 4.0) interaction from the rest of the Delphi programs.
>
> As of omniORB/Pascal effort, I have really very little spare time to go=
 on for it, so I can not boast even basic functionallity right now.