[omniORB] Crash on using nil reference

Tim Ward timw@lsl.co.uk
Fri, 4 May 2001 09:47:10 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Grisby <dgrisby@uk.research.att.com>
To: Tim Ward <timw@lsl.co.uk>
Cc: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com <omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com>
Date: 03 May 2001 17:43
Subject: Re: [omniORB] Crash on using nil reference

>On Thursday 3 May, "Tim Ward" wrote:
>> I do *not* expect using a nil reference to crash the client in an
>> uncontrolled fashion, and I most certainly do *not* expect using a
>> nil reference to upset the state of the servers involved so that
>> they also need to be restarted.
>

>Perhaps running the server with -ORBtraceLevel 20 would show more
>information.

Doesn't look like it: from the "locator server":

omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: unblock from accept()
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: accept new strand.
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: block on accept()
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Worker: start.
omniORB: Handling a GIOP LOCATE_REQUEST.
omniORB: omniRemoteIdentity deleted.
omniORB: strand Rope::decrRefCount: old value = 1
omniORB: ObjRef(IDL:vox_suite/parameter_server/ParamServer:1.0) -- deleted.
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: strand Rope_iterator: delete unused Rope.
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory ~tcpSocketOutgoingRope: called
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections

from the "parameter server":

omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: strand Rope_iterator: delete unused Rope.
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: strand Rope_iterator: delete unused Rope.
omniORB: tcpSocketStrand::~Strand() close socket no. 296
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory ~tcpSocketOutgoingRope: called
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: unblock from accept()
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: accept new strand.
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Rendezvouser: block on accept()
omniORB: tcpSocketMTfactory Worker: start.
omniORB: Handling a GIOP LOCATE_REQUEST.
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections
omniORB: scavenger : scanning connections

Tim Ward