[omniORB] Implementation repository ?

Joan Ramon López Gillué jrlopez@visionadvance.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:40:19 +0200

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I worked for a while with Orbix 2.3 and I imagine that OrbixDeamon acted as
a kind implementation repository for it. The thing is that the interaction
with the Orbix Deamon was embedded within the ORB: In Orbix, the connection
between client and server is always established through the Deamon. Could
you tell me how could I implement anything like that without modifying
omniORB itself?

Cheers

Joan Ramon

Joan Ramon López Gillué
Software Engineer
jrlopez@acm.org

-----Original Message-----
From: jnye@micro-optics.com [mailto:jnye@micro-optics.com]
Sent: miércoles, 02 de mayo de 2001 21:03

Joan,

The implementation repository is something that the OMG recommends that ORB
vendors supply with their ORBs. The OMG purposfully does not put many
restrictions or specifications around the implementation repository because,
as the name suggests, it deals with implementations and not interfaces. An
implementation repository is usually tied very tightly to a specific
vendor's ORB, offering vendor specific features (fault tolerance features,
etc). Since the implementation repository never affects the client end of
things, the OMG has pretty much left it up to vendors to implement. CORBA
objects themselves need not know anything about an implementation repository
-- the implementation repository refers to the CORBA objects, the objects
don't refer (knowingly) to the implementation repository.

Hope this clarifies things a bit,
Jason.