[omniORB] CORBA Open-Source Testing

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc@mediaone.net
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:38:20 -0500

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 04:28:09PM +0000, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:
> This may be of interest to readers of this list.
>
> A project, known as the CORBA Open-Source Testing project, has just
> started. This project has the blessing and support of the OMG and the
> participation of the following ORB vendors:
>
>  AT&T (omniORB)
>  Borland (visibroker)
>  Iona Technologies (orbix)
>  Object Computing, Inc. (OCI) (TAO)
>  Object Oriented Concepts (OOC) (Orbacus)
>
> In phase I, we are to pool together all the internal testsuite and to
> execise one's testsuite with the other ORB products. The next phase is to
> unify the tests into one common framework. At some point along the
> development the full testsuite will be released under LGPL.
>
> I think this is a big step forward to eliminiate the interoperability
> problem that has been a source of grief for so many CORBA users.
>
> While I'm preparing the omniORB testsuite to be uploaded to OMG, I wonder
> whether any of our users have built up an internal testsuite that they
> might consider donating to COST. It will have to be released under LGPL.
> If you have something to contribute, please email me.

Hi,

I have had to debug ORB interoperability problems before,
and one thing that I have found useful is to have a good
protocol analyzer.

The Ethereal protocol analyzer, http://www.ethereal.com,
is a free GPL'd program which works on many Unix platforms
and Windows.  It accepts input from libpcap, so works much
like tcpdump, but is more full-featured, and can very nicely
represent many protocols graphically, including CORBA GIOP.

Maybe you can recommend that Ethereal (or tools like it) be
used by your consortium for CORBA interop testing.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr