[omniORB] omniORB 4 feature list

Rudolf Schreiner ras@objectsecurity.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:21:59 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

>  - Firewall proxy support. (to be merged)
>       Please read the CORBA Firewall proxy spec.

Which one?
The latest submission presented in Irvine?

> The GIOP proxy is
>       supported.

What exactly do you mean?

> I wonder whether in fact the tcp proxy is more useful in
>       practice. Any comment?

It depends.
For some server side firewalls, with end to end security and static
applications (server at fixed port, no callbacks), the tcp plug is
fine. An IIOP message level proxy doesn't give much better security
enforcement, but makes much more trouble because it breaks the end to end
security context.

In general forget the OMG firewall docs at all. The latest submission is
seriously broken, the comments at ORBOS (Polar, Michi, Uli, ras) were
pretty hard.

Cheers,
Rudi
Rudolf Schreiner, CTO, ObjectSecurity Ltd.
St John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Rd., Cambridge CB4 0WS
Tel. +44 1223 420252, Fax. +44 1223 420844
ras@objectsecurity.com, www.objectsecurity.com