[omniORB] Estimating Size of Ugly Nested Structs in Python

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:05:54 -0500

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> You can use omniORB.cdrMarshal to marshal the struct into a string.
> The resulting string is exactly the data which will be transmitted, so
> its length tells you what you need to know.

Cool--that works a treat.

Follow up: some experiments with pickle show that the pickled size of
the struct is an order of magnitude or more greater than the marshalled
size. This is good news in general and I think demonstrates that IIOP is
pretty darn efficient for data transfer.

Thanks,

Eliot

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m