[omniORB] ORB Compliance

Rajshekhar Kishtaiah Chintapalli rajshekhar.chintapalli@wipro.com
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:18:55 +0530

Thanks a lot

-----Original Message-----
From: dpg1@uk.research.att.com [mailto:dpg1@uk.research.att.com]On
Behalf Of Duncan Grisby
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 2:37 PM
To: Rajshekhar Kishtaiah Chintapalli
Cc: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: [omniORB] ORB Compliance

On Wednesday 4 July, "Rajshekhar Kishtaiah Chintapalli" wrote:

> 1) What is the  guarantee that  the Orb's from two different vendors will
> always interact?

The is no guarantee.

> 2) Is there any body,  which , before any ORB comes into the market ,
> tests and certifies that the given ORB is compliant with some COBRA x.x
> specification,
> or is that we have to trust what the ORB provider claims what his ORB is
> capable off.

Not really. The Open Group did some CORBA compliance testing, but only
three ORBs actually entered it. omniORB 2.8 passed this testing. More
details at

  http://www.opengroup.org/regproducts/orm0.htm

There is a relatively new project at the OMG, called CORBA Open Source
Testing, or COST, which aims to create a test suite that all ORBs can
be tested against. It's not ready for use yet. See

  http://cost.omg.org/

Most ORB vendors do take interoperability seriously, so there are very
few problems these days. Most vendors will react quickly if someone
finds an interoperability bug.