[omniORB] Hooking into CORBA::Release

Len Holgate (Mail List Account) Mail-lists@dial.pipex.com
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 20:47:38 +0100

You probably dont really want to do this. For reasons why and code that
implements reference counting and the evictor pattern see
http://www.jetbyte.com/Source/Corba/corba.htm. Probably the most important
article to look at is http://www.jetbyte.com/Source/Corba/refcounting3.htm
which details why CORBA and reference counting dont mesh particularly well.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Wooten" <kwooten@itracs.com>
To: <omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 10:38 PM
Subject: [omniORB] Hooking into CORBA::Release

Is there any fashion in which I can hook into the CORBA::Release
function for an object reference?
I am sure it would be an omniORB specific manner, but since we have made
the decision to use
omniORB exclusively anyway that does not matter. I am trying to
implement reference counting of server-side objects, and I figure the
most efficient way to implement it is to decrement the object on the
server only when the client side has gone away. To do this I need to
detect when the object
reference's count reaches zero. Any info would be helpful,

Thanks,

Kevin Wooten
iTRACS Corporation
email: kwooten@itracs.com