[omniORB] Any suggestions for implementing kylix backend?

Daniel Weber dweber1@austin.rr.com
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:08:18 -0500

Thanks for the advice, I know it's not going to be easy, but I'm just doing
it for the learning :-)

I looked at the Delphi Corba bindings, but they're pretty upfront that the
bindings are designed to make interoperability with COM as easy as possible.
For that reason, they don't have any native stubs for even such things as
arrays - almost everything gets passed as an OleVariant, which seems kind of
basically broken to me.  If I actually get anything running, maybe I'll make
the bindings for both, but for a start it seems much more logical to go with
a mapping that more closely resembles the C++ mapping.

I'll start looking at the python bindings tonight.  Which implementations do
I have to implement?  I presume the ORB and POA are essential, but which of
the other ones?   Linking to C isn't an issue with Kylix, but I'm worried
about C++ (passing around object references).  I guess I'll know more when I
look at the python stuff.

Implementing the Any class should be particularly interesting...

daniel