[omniORB] Firewalling omniORB question.

Michael J. Donahue mdonahue@McLeodUSA.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:45:39 -0600

All -

We're trying to setup omniORB 2.8.0 to work with clients on the outside of a
firewall, and the Name Service and server on the inside of the firewall.  The
only problem is, that each of our servers are setup with multiple interfaces,
each on a different internal network.  Nobody is able to guarantee us that the
first interface configured on the servers will be the one that we want to have
the Names Service available on for the firewalled clients, so we set the
-BOAiiop_name_port to the same hostname as the -ORBInitialHost and we set the
port portion to a port number one greater than the -ORBInitialPort on the Name
Service machine.

omniNames -start 15000 -ORBInitialHost corbanamesserver.domain.com
-ORBInitialPort 15000 -BOAiiop_name_port corbanamesserver.domain.com:15001

Our goals include:
*   We cannot change the well known port for the Name Service. (this has already
been published for non-firewalled clients and servers)
*   We cannot expect the network interfaces to be in any specific order.
*   We need to be able to setup omniNames to be usable from any specified port
on any specified interface.
*   We need to be able to change to omniORB 3.0.3 in the near future with both
BOA and POA ability.

omniORB.cfg on the client
ORBInitialHost  corbanamesserver.domain.com
ORBInitialPort   15000

Is this the "right" way to resolve the issue?  What problems might we have with
this setup?  Is there a better way that we haven't thought of?  If so what are
the trade-offs?

TIA,

- Mike Donahue