[omniORB] omniNames core dump

Carsten Kraus carsten.kraus@linmor.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:15:00 -0500

Hello,

I am currently using omniORB302, compiled with gcc 2.95.2 on Sunos 5.7 for
one of our applications. The software works great so far. However, while
deploying it on a few machines for testing, omniNames all of the sudden
crashes on one of the machines (although it is working perfect on four
other, similar Solaris boxes).

Playing around with the debugger, I found out the problem originates in
_init() from libomniORB3.so.o. Somewhere down the stack,
proxyObjectFactory::proxyObjectFactory () of the file proxyFactory.cc gets
called, which calls CORBA::string_dup () in corbaString.cc.
CORBA::string_dup(const char* p) core dumps while calling strlen(p).

Did anyone ever encounter a similar problem? If not, are there any ideas or
suggestions about things I could do to track down the issue? I don't have
much experience with debugging libraries. The debugger itself tells me it
cannot access the memory at the address of p. Also, I tried to print out the
first characters of the string p. However, I couldn't link the library
anymore, it somehow didn't like the 'cout'.

Thanks,
  Carsten