[omniORB] omniorb and omniorbpy speed

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:00:14 +0100

Duncan,
    what about dealing with (possibly long) sequences of atomic types in
Python ? OmniORB 3.0 has been optimized for that when a any/dynanys is
involved (I raised this issue sometime ago because image handling through
anys was painful with 2.8).
Now what about Python performance, with such sequences both alone (in/out)
and inside anys ?

>No, with simple types there is no significant Python code being
>executed, although a few Python constructors are run. Building Python
>objects, from C or Python, is just slow. It hits the memory allocator
>really hard -- every element of your list involves several calls to
>malloc().

Thanks,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it