[omniORB] omniorb and omniorbpy speed

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:25:43 -0500

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> As Sai-Lai says, you should compile omniORB and omniORBpy with Sun CC
> to make it fair. I'm mainly surprised that omniORB C++ is so much
> slower than ORBacus. Every comparison I've ever seen shows omniORB to
> be faster. I assume that you are using an ORBacus server. Are the
> tests performed on a single machine?  If so, ORBacus might be using a
> shared memory or Unix domain socket transport, so that would explain
> the difference.

sorry for the plug, but optimization interests me as well...
Didn't omniorb try a shm or unix domain socket transport as well ? I
remember some discussion about that. More specifically, it appeared
you had reasons not to use it (the tcp/ip transport was faster, or something).

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal