[omniORB] python and idl files

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:29:03 -0500

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 March, Vincent Joseph wrote:
>
> > One of the really neat abilities of ORBIT-python
> > was its ability to dynamically load an idl file at
> > run time (in the client) !! I thought that this was
> > a really cool feature. What, if any, are the
> > disadvantages of this approach.
>
> omniORBpy can already do that. Look at the omniORB.importIDL()
> function.

Duncan,

does this mean omniORB has 'kind of' an interface repository
mechanism ? I know that it doesn't have a real one but how hard
would it be to add the missing pieces to have a real IR ?
I ask because someone wanted to write perl clients for the
berlin display server. Apparently COPE requires an IR to build
it's objects so I thought about adding a IR. Since an IR's
implementation requires an IDL parser, I thought it is best
integrated with the ORB core stuff...
(otherwise I would just have ported the mico IR implementation)

Best regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal