[omniORB] Using languages other than C++ for creating CORBA objects.

Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:29:38 +0100

On Thursday 22 June, Ben Miller wrote:

> I am currently assessing whether or not to use omniORB2 to helps
> distribute our legacy software.  This is laregly written in C++, but
> we also have modules written in Java and VisualBasic.  I know that
> omniORB2 is largely geared towards using C++ to implement CORBA
> objects, but can I implement using Java and VisualBasic as well?

You can only use omniORB from C++ or Python. However, since one of the
main points of the CORBA standard is that different ORBs can
communicate with each other, you can easily use other ORBs for other
languages. There are plenty of Java ORBs available -- if your
requirements are quite simple, the one built into Java 1.2 may be
sufficient. I know of only one VisualBasic ORB, and I have no idea
whether it works:

  http://home.t-online.de/home/Martin.Both/vborb.html

For VB, you may want to investigate COM/CORBA bridges, or maybe even
write your own specific-purpose bridge.