[omniORB] OPC Alternative

Haarek Ryeng Haarek.Ryeng@datarespons.no
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:13:43 +0200

I sure would like to see a CORBA based OPC (CPC? ;-)).
I haven't heard of any - yet!

We use CORBA in all our distributed applications, and it gets messy if we
blend DCOM in all this.
But as a fix it should be fairly easy to build some CORBA interface object
(wrappers) to the OPC modules?

- Haarek Ryeng

"Steven W. Brenneis" wrote:

> This is a request for information and may be slightly off-topic since it
> applies to CORBA in general.
>
> There is a standard for process control which is becoming widely
> accepted called OPC. This stands for OLE for Process Control. Obviously
> it uses COM/DCOM for its middleware layer. It is an open standard which
> seems to be community supported through an organization called the OPC
> Foundation (http://www.opcfoundation.org).
>
> My question is this: Is there such a standard for process control which
> uses CORBA? Since COM is about as much fun to use as having a tooth
> pulled, I would like to investigate a CORBA solution. Can anyone help?
>
> --
> Steven W. Brenneis
> Senior Programmer/Analyst
> R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.
>
> ~!~$~%~
> Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
> good with ketchup.

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of haarek.ryeng.vcf]