[omniORB] Newbie Question

Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:41:00 +0100

On Wednesday 31 May, Barry Roberts wrote:

> I'm CORBAfying some old code (not thread safe) using OmnioORB 3.  Ideally, I
> would like to have each session object (works behind a Web app) run in its
> own process.
>
> The only way I've been able to figure out to do this is to create a factory
> CORBA object that, when asked will create a new process, give it its own
> port number, get its IOR, and return that to the client.

Yes, that is a sensible way to do what you want.

> Also, what is the difference between the ORB port and the POA port
> (-ORBInitialPort and
> -ORBpoa_iiop_port), or which needs to be unique for multiple processes on
> the same machine?

For your purposes, you don't need to worry about either. You don't
need to pick a port number for each of your processes to listen on
since the operating system will pick a suitable one for you.

If you _did_ want to choose a particular port to listen on (so that
IORs are identical between separate runs for example), you use the
-ORBpoa_iiop_port option.

-ORBInitialPort is now deprecated. It tells the _client_ side where to
find a bootstrap agent which is used by resolve_initial_references().
The interoperable naming service adds a portable way to do the same
thing.

All these things are described in chapter 6 of the omniORB 3 manual,
which you'll find in the doc directory of recent check-outs.