[omniORB] ping

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:17:04 +0000

On Friday 14 January, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> I would hope that the ping to a client side object would
> then simply throw an exception. However, this seems not
> the case, at least not without any special command line
> options to the ORB. What should I do to get the desired
> behavior. Or is there an entirely different approach ?

Trying to contact an object which no longer exists should result in
either an OBJECT_NOT_EXIST exception if the object's process is still
running, or a COMM_FAILURE if the process isn't there any more.

Normally, you'll receive these exceptions very rapidly, but in the
case that the host is not reachable by TCP (or the process is
suspended), the default TCP timeout will block the call for a long
time. You can make the time shorter with -ORBclientCallTimeOutPeriod,
or omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod().