[omniORB] interoperable name service support

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:05:18 +0000

On Monday 10 January, "Gary D. Duzan" wrote:

>    I thought the spec had been adpoted. At least it appears on the
> OMG Recently Adopted Specifications page at
> < http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/schedule/tech2a.html >.
> According to that page, the documents listed there are "on their
> way to becoming formal specs with few technical changes." I believe
> there is an issue with assigned TCP port numbers, but that should be
> easily modified when the final numbers are assigned.

Interestingly, that page links to the INS specification at
orbos/98-10-11, which says that you can use a URL like

  iiopname://555objs.com/a/string/path/to/obj

On the other hand, ptc/99-12-03 says the same object should be
referred to as

  corbaname::555objs.com#a/string/path/to/obj

which rather illustrates my point that the spec is in flux. It looks
as though ptc/99-12-03 is likely to be the final word on the matter,
but various companies have the power to veto it up until September. I
believe that the URL formats could still be vetoed by the IETF too.