[omniORB] Getting ObjectId when using default servant

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:48:21 +0000

On Sunday 3 December, randy.shoup@tumbleweed.com wrote:

> What are the plans for adding support for PortableServer::Current in
> omniORB3?  What are the technical barriers, if any, to implementing
> this?  In my naivete, it seems to me that it is just a matter of taking
> advantage of thread-local storage to store the current POA and object-id
> during an operation invocation :-).

It's almost as simple as doing that. The main barrier to it being
added to omniORB 3.0 is that the omnithread interface has no
thread-local storage facilities, so there is no way to do it. Once
that has been added (which it has in the omni4_0_develop branch), the
main challenge is setting the state in a way which doesn't slow things
down too much. The other challenge is that calls within a single
address space don't necessarily happen in threads created by
omnithread, so attaching state to them is potentially nasty.

Anyway, Current will be supported in the next major release of
omniORB, which will probably be omniORB 4. Don't hold your breath for
it, though.