[omniORB] Perl

Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:42:28 +0100

On Thursday 30 September, "Mark D. Landry" wrote:

> Is there a reason omniORB developers are choosing to do a Python
> binding instead of Perl? There's a heck of a lot more going on in
> Perl (more users, more published books, more integration w/Apache,
> ...)

We started developing omniORB because we had a need for it within our
lab. The same goes for the Python bindings -- lots of projects here
are using Python, and have a need for a CORBA binding. We have nothing
in particular against Perl, but I personally think that Python fits
the sort of things you want to do with CORBA far better than Perl
does.

The beauty of CORBA is that you can interoperate between ORBs, so it
shouldn't be a problem that omniORB doesn't support the language you
prefer.