[omniORB] Question about libraries

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:59:32 +0100 (GMT)

> Some questions regarding library use and size expectations.  After a
> build under unix I
> see under omniORB_280/lib/<platform> at least five libraries, both in
> static and shared
> (dso) format.
>
> What if I don't use dii/dsi features?  Is libombiDynamic2 still
> required to resolve symbol
> references?

No.  libomniDynamic is only needed for TypeCode, Any, DII and DSI and
related features, or if you link the DynSK part of the stubs.

> When the POA is released in 2.9 will the main libomniORB2 library still
> carry the legacy
> BOA code?  One of the factors that attracted me to omniORB was the very
> small library
> size, when compared to the other open implementations of CORBA.

Yes, there is some legacy code.  This shouldn't be a big deal though:

 1) Its a shared library.  Thus there is only one copy in the whole
    system.  If you have a sensible operating system that uses on-
    demand page loading, and pages unused memory to disk, then legacy
    code doesn't waste main memory.

 2) Its a static library.  The linker will only pull in code that you
    use.  If you don't use the BOA, then it won't be linked in.

If you are really worried, then it shouldn't be difficult to cut the code
out of the build.

Cheers,
David