[omniORB] Initializing an ORB with a given port ?

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:52:37 -0700

James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I'm rather new to CORBA, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.
> I've looked through the omniORB2 User's Guide and header files, but can't
> seem to find an answer.
>
> Is it possible to initialize an ORB to a known port on a host ?  i.e. If my
> application doesn't lend itself to the CORBA Naming Service and I want to
> hardcode an implementation so that on a given host it will always be
> available on Port 9000, how do I go about that?
>
> I'm presuming that the existence of the genior utility means that there is
> sometimes a need for something like this -- if the ports assigned by the ORB
> were always ephemeral, then genior wouldn't have any meaningful uses.
>
> If someone could shed some light on this, or point me in the right direction
> to further documentation, I'd appreciate it.

This is done with the -BOAiiop_port command line option.  You pass this
argument inside the argv/argc you pass to BOA_init().  So,

	% my_application -BOAiiop_port 1234

sets the ORB (IIOP) port of 'my_application' to 1234.

-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)216-2038
Software Architect                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Communications Corporation