BIG MESSAGE Re: [omniORB] Installation and Configuration on RedHat 6.0

Amit Joshi amitj@erols.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:05:55 -0400

--------------3C66D4303283E6E631243309

[ Edited. The original message is too big (over 2M), I've put the whole
          message in
  ftp://ftp.uk.research.att.com/pub/omniORB/contrib/omniORB_2.6.1_autconf.gz

  The following is the original posting less the omniORB_2.6.1 tar-ball.
  - SLL
]

Hello,

I have omniORB 2.6.1 working under autoconf. I tested it under Solaris
2.6  and Linux Redhat 5.1 with a lot of upgrades (esp. compiler).

I did not provide diffs because I had uploaded a version of 2.6.1
working with autoconf to the ORL site.

The autoconfing can be improved further and I have ideas on how to do it
but have been busy (with completing school and then working in the real
world). I have not had looked at this in a while but do recall having to
introduce one memory leak (in the code from Sun) in order to make things
work correctly. There is a comment indicating the problematic area in
src/tool/omniidl2/driver/drv_preproc.cc. One of these days I'll get
2.8.x working. Honest.

For all those who want it here it is (as an attachment). To use:
1. zcat omniORB_2.6.1_auto.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
2. cd omniORB_2.6.1_auto
3. ./configure
4. ./make
5. ./make install

At this point the entire library should be made and the tools and
library available in the bin and lib directory. Disable shared
libraries: edit the configure.in file, locate the line that looks like
"dnl AM_DISABLE_SHARED", delete the "dnl " and then run "./runconf" to
recreate a new "configure" program and then follow steps 4 and 5 above.

WARNING: I did not release this earlier in general because of
philosophical differences on how to use autoconf with omniORB and did
not want to annoy the fine folks at ORL for thier great piece of
software. Please do not start a war - if you like the approach use it
else discard it. Feedback and improvements are of course always welcome.

For now enjoy.

--
Amit Joshi

"There's a pleasure in being mad ...
 ... which none but madmen know!" - St. Dryden
--------------3C66D4303283E6E631243309