[omniORB] Installation and Configuration on RedHat 6.0

Robert Simmons(su) gnuish@uswest.net
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:15:55 -0600

--------------FFFDAEBF8BB394DDE06662B4

I would like to be able to use omniORB on a new RedHat 6.0 linux
machine. My goal is to configure the system so that all users on the
system can use it. I did manage to get it to build but that is as far as
I have gotten. Configuration of the system and installation is another
matter. I have read, at length, all the docs in the download and remain
confused. What I would like is a single installation document that
answers the following questions.

Assumptions:
1) It is being installed on a RedHat Linux 6.0 OS.
2) There are sufficient resources to support the software in terms of
memory, network and disk
3) it will be used in a multi-user development environment
4) It can be installed once, not one time PER developer
4.1) Im aware that some configuration such as environment vars and
whatnot will prolly need to be done on a per user basis.
5) These users will mostly be new to CORBA
6) I have root acess on the machine and can do as I wish.

Questions:
1) Once I get it compiled, can I place it anywhere or does it need to be
colocated with something .
2) Most ORBs have a daemon that waits to receive requests from client
objects. How do I install this daemon and set it up to start at run
time.
3) Similarly how do I set up the name service to run at startup. The
setting of the environment vars in the README.unix would only apply to
one specific user. I want a global install.

Id like to see this ORB be able to compete with the comercial products
out there but if it is this hard to install with this little
documentation, I dont see how it can. When one gets orbix for unix there
are specific instructions for global installs such as this and there are
even scripts to automate it.

Thanks in advance .
Rob

--------------FFFDAEBF8BB394DDE06662B4

begin:vcard
n:Simmons Jr.;Robert
tel;home:303-657-9254
tel;work:303-657-9254
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.users.uswest.net/~gnuish
org:Robert Simmons Jr. and Associates;NA
adr:;;4901 W. 93rd Ave. #535		;Westminster;CO;80030;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:gnuish@uswest.net
title:President
note;quoted-printable:Providing quality education in object =0D=0Aoriented design and CORBA for technical=0D=0Aand business personell.
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Robert Simmons Jr.
end:vcard

--------------FFFDAEBF8BB394DDE06662B4--