[omniORB] compiling omniORB3 on NT -- Assertion failure

Ji-Yong D. Chung virtualcyber@erols.com
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:32:04 -0500

    I am not sure if, in Windows debugging mode, a dll does not treat the
executing process' heap as if it were its own -- the terms "local heap of a
DLL" maybe just semantics for MSVC debugger's accounting system for keeping
track of memory allocated/deallocated from "the global heap" using the dll's
exported functions.

    A MSVC++ expert (which I am not) would probably know
whether this is true.

    One thing is for sure -- if allocation of memory is done by a function
exported from a dll, the deallocation also must be done by an exported
function of the dll. Of course, there is no restriction as to what modules
can invoke the exported functions.

    This is not such a bad debug requirement -- it really helps one in
debugging and tracking memory errors by

    Remember, in non-debug environment, there would be no assertion failures
regarding this "local" heap.