[omniORB] Re: compiling omniORB3 on NT

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:50:39 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Chung, David wrote:

> 		(1) I am curious as to at exactly what point did your make
> fail?  Did you get to genereate omniORB3d.lib, omniORB300_rtd.lib,
> omniDymamic3d.lib, or omniDynamic300_rtd.lib?
>
> 		When I run make on your files, the make fails after it
> apparently links and generates omniORB3d.lib and omniORB300_rtd.lib.  (It
> fails after that point, as it tries to compile irSK.cc in order to generate
> omniDynamic3d.lib).

Yep - I also failed at that point.  I only got as far as testing the ORB
core at the weekend.  I have done some more work, and the dynamic and
orbcore libraries now compile.  Get it from CVS after tonight's merge.

> 	(2) You referred to extraneous symbols generated.  Let me get this
> right -- do you mean that if you compile <top>/src/lib/omniORB2/orbcore and
> link it with some CORBA app code, the linker will generate errors because it
> finds unresolved symbols?   Or did I misunderstand you?

That is correct.  For the moment I am able to get round this by linking
with the dynamic library also.

> 	(3) is the library generated by running make on
> <top>/src/lib/omniORB2/orbcore supposed to be able to successfully link to
> CORBA apps without the library generated from
> <top>/src/lib/omniORB2/dynamic?  What about the reverse?  (that is, should
> the library generated from .../dynamic be able to link to CORBA apps without
> the library generated rom .../orbcore?)

Yes -- you should be able to link to libomniORB* without linking to
libomniDynamic*.  However, this doesn't seem to work at the mo'.

So, I can build the libraries and the echo examples.  However, they don't
appear to work!!  Some unknown exception is being thrown in eg1.exe, but
when I remove the catch clause it seg faults.  I'll investigate further
tomorrow...

We'll get there eventually!
Cheers,
David