[omniORB] debugging with omniORB

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 20:48:29 -0400

Bruce Visscher wrote:

>                 CORBA::Exception
>                      ^
>                     /  \
>                    /    \
> CORBA::UserException    CORBA::SystemException
>
> Then there's also omniORB::fatalException (which theoretically shouldn't
> happen).
>
> > Are there other possibilities to get more verbose output ?
> > Especially, is there any way to log ref counting and similar
> > error prone things ?
>
> The best I've been able to do, in genera, is to use the
> NP_RepositoryID(), if it's a CORBA::SystemException (if it's a user
> exception, you should be able to handle that yourself).  Or if you have
> RTTI available, you can use that instead.

Well, yes. I dumped NP_RepositoryID() and got an 'invalid reference' or
so. Well, that's exactly what I thought. However, I'd like to use RTTI
to also get the object's type which's ref counter caused the exception.
Therefor I added the necessary code to omniORB's objectRef.cc. I didn't
have time to finish this so I'll try it tomorrow. The question remains:
wouldn't it be possible to provide more verbose output from omniORB in
the first place (something in the line of what I did), at least when
-ORBtraceLevel is high enough ?
I think getting ref counting wrong is not an exception, it's a bug. So
since I wrote such buggy code, I'd prefer debuggable output instead of
(or at least as well as) a thrown exception.

Thanks !

Stefan