[omniORB] question re: threading

Rob Cecil rceci@master.adams.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 14:09:17 -0500

--------------8FE8FCBC69D533263DB5B4FB

Hello,

I have been doing some basic work on omniORB2 (2.8.0), predominantly on the server side of
things.  I don't have a lot of experience with multithreaded apps and realize that
omniORB2 itself is multithreaded.  Does this imply that any server implementations that I
write should be threadsafe?  What if I use yet another 3rdparty library ( for example Qt
), as part of the implementation of a server implementation.  Am I shooting myself in the
foot by including non-threadsafe libraries?  I have noticed ACE/TAO has very precise
threading behavioral control over server invocations and wondered if something like that
is in the works.  See
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/configurations.html.

Thanks

--
| Rob Cecil          | Senior Development Engineer                 |
| rceci@adams.com    | Product Development                         |

--------------8FE8FCBC69D533263DB5B4FB

Hello,
on the server side of things.&nbsp; I don't have a lot of experience with
multithreaded apps and realize that omniORB2 itself is multithreaded.&nbsp;
Does this imply that any server implementations that I write should be
threadsafe?&nbsp; What if I&nbsp;use yet another 3rdparty library ( for
example Qt ), as part of the implementation of a server implementation.&nbsp;
Am I shooting myself in the foot by including non-threadsafe libraries?&nbsp;
I&nbsp;have noticed ACE/TAO&nbsp;has very precise threading behavioral
control over server invocations and wondered if something like that is
in the works.&nbsp; See <A HREF="http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/configurations.html">http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/configurations.html</A>.
<pre>--&nbsp;
| Rob Cecil&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Senior Development Engineer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| rceci@adams.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Product Development&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
| (734) 913-9351&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. (www.adams.com)&nbsp;&nbsp; |
"an interconnected mass of livers and pancreas and lungs and
&nbsp;little sharp pointy things and the occasional exploding
&nbsp;kidney." - Perl hacker/maintainer on internals of the Perl kernel.</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------8FE8FCBC69D533263DB5B4FB--