[omniORB] memory leak in omni_thread

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Wed, 19 May 1999 12:44:54 -0400

Andreas Koehler wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 1999, David Riddoch wrote:
>
> > You are creating low priority threads. They never get a chance to run
> > because the main thread has normal priority - and thus threads just
> > accumulate until you run out of resources.
> >

> > Hope that helps,
> > David
>
> No, it doesn't! When using normal/high priority or a sleep statement in
> the main thread the behavior is the same.
>
> Andreas

Just for fun, I tried this on VMS compiling under cxx 6.2 and I'm seeing
similar results.  My virtual page count grows while threads are being
created until the process finally exits with:

    omni_thread::create raised an exception

It looks like it will create 3361 threads before it crashes.  However, it
doesn't appear to me to be running out of memory.  The page count never
gets anywhere near my quota.

I too would be interested to know what's going on here as I'd like to know
what kind of limitations I will run into if I try allocating large numbers
of threads.

Bruce