[omniORB] g3 and gif files

Grohmann, Axel grohmann@ike.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon, 10 May 1999 13:02:29 +0200

andrew.brown@bt.com wrote:

> Hi,
>         Does anyone know how i would go about passing a .gif file and a .g3
> file through a CORBA interface (specifically OMNIorb). Any information or
> ideas on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andrew Brown.

 Andrew,

I am not sure whether it is a good idea to pass files (especially large files)
via CORBA. OmniOrb uses a default maximum message size of 2 MB, and my
impression is that any CORBA method invokation which passes more than, say 100
kB, is a misuse of CORBA.

In our implementation, we separate between the control flow, i.e. information
about the file being exchanged, and the data flow. The control flow is handled
by CORBA, and the data flow is facilitated by either a distributed file system
or FTP.

Cheers, Axel

--
Axel Grohmann

Department of Knowledge Engineering and Numerics, IKE
University of Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 31
D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany
Phone: 0049 711 685-2130