[omniORB] OmniOrb for commercial use

Guenther Grau Guenther.Grau@de.bosch.com
Thu, 06 May 1999 20:15:29 +0200

Phil Lewis wrote:
> Also, I find the GNU licences very confusing. Much as I support the FSF and
> the open source movement, I am in the unfortunate position of working for a
> company that charges for its software (that's how we pay the wages of myself
> and the other programmers). Does this prohibit me from distributing OmniOrb
> to our clients> Or can I still distribute it providing I give adequate
> notice/sources etc.?

Take a close look at the License file that comes with OmniOrb.
It basically says, that distributing OmniOrb is fine, as long as
you provide the sources and the License to your customers.

> I am particularly interested in hearing about peoples experience with the
> ORB on real projects. (Because I may at least use it for development, even
> if distribution is not on).

Porting applications to omniOrb can involve a little work, as
there are quite a few things that are still not standardized.
But this is obviously not omniOrb's mistake. Also, other orbs
accept non-standard code, which is BAD, IMHO. But if you start
a new project, omniOrb is fine. And once you converted other
code to omniORB, it's fine as well :-) Responses to bug reports are
incredible fast and complete! We have MAJOR problems with
the ORBs of big vendors (no I won't give the names here),
which doen't get solved, although we pay $$$ for the product
and support contract.

  Guenther