[omniORB] AIX 4.2 problem du semaine.

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:47:10 -0400

   That's just the way xlC is. Try compiling some template-rich code
with it sometime and you'll _really_ see some duplicate symbol
messages. Since they are just warnings, though, I've found it is
safe to ignore them. AIX's ld does more shuffling of code than your
typical linker, so it tend to take longer and complain about more.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

In Message <111302C972D7D01185A00060977D7D415EE9D2@DATALEX_NT> ,
   PJ McKenna <pj.mckenna@datalex.ie> wrote:

=>Folks,
=>  While compiling the omniorb libraries I came across a problem.
=>  When linking, I get errors of the following kind:
=>
=>ld: 0711-228 WARNING: Duplicate symbols were found while resolving symbols.
=>        The following duplicates were found:
=> Symbol                    Source-File(Object) OR Import-File{Shared-object}
=> ------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
=> .operator>>=(unsigned char,MemBufferedStream&) ../typecode.cc(typecode.o)
=>    ** Duplicate **        ../tcParser.cc(tcParser.o)
=>    ** Duplicate **        ../dynAny.cc(dynAny.o)
=>
=>  ... and so on for the other MemBufferedStream and NetBufferedStream
=>operators.
=>  There's a similar problem-report in the archives for AIX 4.3
=>http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/1998-12/0059.html
=>
=>  The bufferedStream.h file specifies the functions which are duplicated
=>because they are "instantiated" in several object files.  Perhaps the linker
=>isn't too smart?
=>
=>  So, any ideas?
=>