[omniORB] omniOrb 2.7.1 & rh-6.0 -> gdb core dumped

Stefan Seefeld seefelds@MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:56:17 +0000

Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> > I'am using omniOrb 2.7.1 on RedHat 6.0 with the glibc 2.1.  When I want
> > use gdb with an program, compiled with egcs and the flags -g, gdb crashs
> > when loading the symbols table.
>
> > I've tried on different platforms installed from the scratch (rh6.0 and
> > omniOrb 2.7.1 only),  same problem.
> > Bugs in glibc 2.1 like glibc2.0 for omniOrb2.6.1 ?
>
> I've not used RedHat 6.0 but I read somewhere that gdb is again broken with
> RH 6.0. Remember back in RH 5.2, gdb has been patched with multi-threaded
> debugging support. Don't know if the same has been done to RH 6.0.

Right. I tried to apply all imaginable patches to gdb to make it understand
LinuxThreads. However, untill now one of two things happens:
a) gdb core dumps itself when starting the program or
b) gdb can't interpret the signals used by the threads to communicate among each
   other

So, it seems we are out of luck. :(
However, they seem to know about the problems so there isn't much to be done at the
moment. (just waiting and using cerr/cout for debugging).

Regards,	Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal