[omniORB] Re: Orbacus and omniOrb

David Riddoch djr@uk.research.att.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:42:57 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 Philippe.Merle@lifl.fr wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > From: David Riddoch <djr@uk.research.att.com>
> > Subject: Re: [omniORB] Re: Orbacus and omniOrb
> >
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 Philippe.Merle@lifl.fr wrote:
> >
> > > I have tried nameclt from omniORB with the Name Service provided by ORBacus
> > > and this doesn't work: the nameclt says that the IOR provided is not a
> > > CosNaming::NamingContext. And it is a name service:-(
> >
> > Try doing   catior <IOR of ORBacus name service>.  The type id should be:
> >
> >   "IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0"
>
> This doesn't give this message.
>
> unix> catior `cat ~/CS_for_omniORB2/NameService.IOR`
> Type ID: "IDL:ooc.com/CosNaming/ExtNamingContext_1_1:1.0"
> Profiles:
> 1. IIOP 1.0 134.206.10.223 49368 "DefaultNamingContext."
>
> But these is normal because the CosNaming::ExtNamingContext_1_1
> interface inherits from the CosNaming::NamingContext interface.
> And this can be narrowed to a CosNaming::NamingContext.

This doesn't explain why omniORB can't talk to the ORBacus name service
though, because if we don't get the repo id we hoped for omniORB actually
contacts the object implementation (using _is_a) and asks it if it is an
instance of "IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0".  The fact that
nameclt complains implies that it says no to this question.

David