[omniORB] Curious omniNames Behavior

Ken Feuerman kfeuerma@Adobe.COM
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:13:20 -0700

Has anyone seen the following:

When I start omniNames a first time, with

omniNames -start 8047

I get some root context IOR printed out to the console.  Then, I start
omniNames again later, without the -start option, and I get a *different*
IOR printed out.  This, in spite of the fact that the OMNINAMES_LOGDIR
environment variable has not changed.

The difference between the two IOR's (as revealed by catior) is in the IP
address.  In the -start case, the IP address is something reasonable (e.g.,
128.101.nnn.nnn), but in the subsequent case, the IP address is 127.0.0.1
(canonical localhost).  The object key's are *identical*.

This is on an NT4.0 Workstation machine, running omniORB 2.6.0.  Here's a
possible clue:  It's a DHCP client machine that does NOT have its own fixed
IP address.

When this situation happens, it appears that clients on the same machine
can still get in touch with the NameService, but clients on other machines
cannot.  Any ideas what's happening?  Is DHCP getting in the way?

Thanks!

--Ken Feuerman.