[omniORB] more Questions about oneway and asynchronous messages...

Charles W Collins cwc+@andrew.cmu.edu
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the responses I got, but I still have some questions about it...

Unfortunately, I can't just spawn extra threads for handling those
communications and let them time out because we expect that ultimately
it may be a very large number of connections that are just open for one
or two messages.  We do not want the overhead of constantly spawning and
cleaning up those threads.

I have been told that the problems I've encountered with the oneway
calls (namely that it will block if the server is down and more than
about 100 messages are sent to it) are due to the underlying TCP.  I've
heard of non-blocking TCP where you can make your socket not block and
not really care whether the message gets there, but I don't know very
much about it.  Is anyway that I could change the transport mechanism of
OmniORB to fit my needs or will I have to write a full set of transport
and marshalling calls myself and not use the ORB?

Thanks

Charlie Collins
Student, Carnegie Mellon University
cwc@cs.cmu.edu