[omniORB] Can I use a naming service with different orbs?

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:36:42 +0100

On Tuesday 31 August, "Mike Bendickson" wrote:

> We're using MICO on our Unix platform and omniORB2 on NT.  I read somewhere
> that the naming services are not compatible with each other.  Is this
> correct?

As long as MICO's naming service is fully compliant with the Naming
service specification, you will be able to use it from omniORB, simply
by putting its IOR in omniORB's configuration file. You won't be able
to use omniORB's ORBinitialPort and ORBinitialHost configuration.

omniORB's Naming service is fully compliant so, again, you should be
able to use it from MICO. You can give omniORB's Naming service IOR to
a MICO program with the -ORBNamingAddr command line argument.

omniORB is not compatible with MICO's Binder mechanism, which is an
extension to the CORBA spec.

HTH,