[omniORB] OmniORB + ppp dialin question

Jonathan Gallmeier jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:17:37 -0500

Hi,

Perhaps someone can help me with this question.

I am trying to run omniNames and a server on a machine that is not
connected to a network. When someone
wants to run a client, a ppp (modem) link will be established between
the client's machine and the server's machine.
The IP address is dynamically assigned. The server must be running all
the time (it performs real-time hardware
monitoring.)

Now, my problem is the client cannot find the nameserver. When I use
tracelevel 20, it appears that the ORB is
found, but the get() method fails, the socket is closed, and a system
exception is thrown. (I am running eg3_clt
and eg3_impl for debugging purposes here.) I have tried using the
ORBInitialHost, ORBInitialPort, etc. command
line options when running the client, trying the dynamic ip addresses,
the (static) server host name, etc...

Oh, to get omniNames to run all the time, I have given it the loopback
adapter's (lo -- 127.0.0.1) alias
in the .cfg file. It seems that the problem lies in the client trying to
attach to the nameserver from one network
( the dynamically assigned ppp ip addresses) to the loopback adapter's
address, which is technically on a different network.
How does one solve this problem???

thanks in advance.

Jonathan Gallmeier

Jonathan Gallmeier                | We act a though comfort and luxury were
email : jonathan@arlut.utexas.edu | chief ingredients of happiness, when all
office: (512) 835-3812            | we really wanted was something to be
FAX   : (512) 835-3808            | excited about. - Anonymous