[omniORB] Question about ORB_init

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:07:45 -0700

Cristi wrote:

> I just want to ask if it's OK if you pass some variables to the ORB_init
> instead of passing argc and argv.

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.  You have to
pass parameters to ORB_init that *look like* argc and argv, but you are
under no obligation to pass the *actual* argc and argv of your process.
In other words, you are free to construct your own argv and argc to pass
to the ORB.

In our application using omniORB, we do construct an artificial argv and
argc at runtime in order to pass additional parameters to the ORB (like
-BOAiiop_port, which specifies that omniORB should use a particular
designated port).

I hope this helps.

-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Software Architect                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation