[omniORB] Bug in inheritance across namespaces.

Dietmar May dcmay@object-workshops.com
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:18:05 -0400

Sai-Lai,

> The bug with MSVC++ has been around for so long that I think it ought to
have
> been fixed by Microsoft. Perhaps you can help by reporting this bug to
> Microsoft instead of asking omniidl2 to generate workaround code.

A number of bugs in MSVC++ (some of them quite serious), have been around
for so long, that Microsoft should have fixed them several service packs
ago. Like not being able to throw an exception from within a constructor!
This one has been around since MSVC++ 4.2, and is documented in their
KnowledgeBase. I think it's still not fixed two releases and five service
packs later. They don't seem to be interested in fixing bugs, even when
they HAVE been reported and documented. I guess their priority is adding
new features to MSVC++, Windows, and Internet Explorer.

> We've put in considerable effort to workaround bugs in MSVC++ to the
extend
> that some part of the source code starts looking rather ugly and
> incomprehensible. I sometimes can't remember why some apparently rather
> convoluted code was written.

The problem is that we're (all) stuck with supporting the MS compiler. I've
had to make some undesirable (and otherwise unnecessary) changes to our
code as well in order to work around serious Microsoft bugs. You're not
alone!

Best regards,
Dietmar